Pages

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Time to retire . . . again!

The sky is definitely moving faster today. As I study the clouds of change, my thoughts race to keep pace. All of a sudden, though not at all unexpectedly, life has sped up and we are now on the far side of Thanksgiving. This year the clock has been ticking down to Art's third retirement and I wonder what this one holds in store for us?

He retired in 1973 from the menswear industry and we moved to the farm where he started his electrical parts rebuilding company. He retired from that business after 16 years in 1989 to become a judge in 1994. He might have remained on the bench for a fourth term but for the mandatory retirement age thing, for this was the job he really loved.


But really, you ask, what will he do? What will you both do? What will you EACH do? What will be different? What will remain the same? How will you spend your time? Will you tackle new projects, take up new interests, travel, move away? So many questions. It is hard to imagine the future. But life speeds along a linear timeline and forces us to watch the road ahead and try to straddle the potholes.

We have always lived our lives without plans. We mainly go with the Cosmic Flow. That way things feel right, and we have made our life choices based on feeling and intuition. So, I expect that nothing will change. I expect that everything will change. I expect, too, that we will embrace whatever does change as we have always done.

Retirement - he has no wonderment about this subject. He has done this twice before. He is excited! gleeful! playful, SURE, willing, and oh.so.ready! Speak to him about his plans and his face lights up. Ask him what he will do every day when he no longer has his career-burden to carry and he will reply, "everything... and nothing!" You just know that whatever it is, he will enjoy every minute.

But that's the way he has always lived - in the moment, in the present and in full, glorious gratitude for a God-granted wondrous life to live on Earth, in freedom, with humor, spirit and exuberance, with love and in friendship, with respect and in abundant good health. What more could anyone wish for? Not another blessed thing!

I doubt we will travel. I doubt we will alter our lifestyle. Maybe we will write a book... if so, it will be a funny one! And I know what his comment will be should you ask him for one. He will tell you, "Have no expectations and you will never be disappointed."

5 comments:

  1. In the moment is the only way to live. I hope you change your mind and travel. My trips to foreign lands have sustained me through this ...sequestration in Florida. On the other hand, I hope you're there when I finally get up to visit! Congratulations on his retirement. Are you going to keep your new job?

    Love the balloon. Are you in there? Patsye

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Max....hi from the true white north!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Patsye... more questions, haha! You can bet we will still be here when you finally get up this way to visit; and, no, we are not IN the balloon, but below and photographing it as it flies over our farm. It belongs to our friends Jeff, Denise and Cory Davis of WindsAloftBallooning.com. On fine-weather evenings they take patrons for rides across our high mountain valley, often drifting silently across our airspace. I took this photo in October; and YES, I am going to keep my newspaper job, which I greatly enjoy.

    Hi Iffy ... glad to see your greeting from the true white north! Stay warm and well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will be in the balloon, and you will be with me. We're starting to finally get some responses to the 9 million resumes. Just the idea of a potential of a possibility of a maybe ..... I think this is going to happen. And I can't wait to get home. Have a wonderful holiday. I hope you'll put out a Christmas post of your decorations. Patsye

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wishing you a beautiful season, Max! Sounds like your life is busy and fulfilled ... your farm makes a wonderful contribution to the world. Bravo and ALL best wishes for 2012. --Daisy

    ReplyDelete